Rwanda is blessed with ideal coffee growing conditions that include high altitude, regular rainfall, volcanic soils with good organic structure. The vast majority of Rwandan coffee is produced by smallholders. About half a million farmers manage parcels of land often not much larger than just one hectare per family. Coffee is grown in most parts of the country, with particularly large concentrations along Lake Kivu and in the southern province. Rwandan smallholders organise themselves into cooperatives and share the services of centralised wet-mills – or ‘washing stations’ as they are known locally. By entering into long-term commitments, our supplier is committed to support sustainable coffee cultivation in Rwanda.
Gatare is one the oldest washing stations in the country, dating back to 2003. It has a strong reputation regarding high quality coffee. Located in Nyamasheke district of the Western province, the station is surrounded by hills covered by coffee trees. Gatare has competed in the Cup Of Excellence competition many times, and always ended in the high winning lots. The station has a very large capacity and processed over 1000 tons of cherries this season.
– Variety: Red Bourbon, 100% Arabica
– Altitude: 1800m
– Processing method: natural
– Notes: mulled wine, black tea, stonefruits, vanilla pudding, strawberry, creamy and structured body.
– Quantity: 250 gr or 500 gr beans
– Our coffee bags are 100% recyclable, produced CO2-neutral and can be disposed of in the plastic waste (in Belgium: PMD-bag). More info about our packaging choices will follow soon in a blogpost. Also check out our CoffeeVac containers, which we sell to shop without the use of packaging from us. When using this system (only possible for pick up- or personal delivery-orders), you earn a discount (saver-system) of 1€ per ordered 250gr/150gr coffee beans.
– These beas are roasted on 100% green energy (solar + wind).
We choose to sell whole beans, because after 15 minutes the aroma’s in ground coffee will have been mostly evaporated. More info?Click here.
This coffee we grind for filter. If you want your coffee to be ground, select ‘ground coffee’ when adding this product to the basket.
In our webshop you can find our range of hand grinders and electric grinders.