The Kahuhia Farmers Cooperative Society has four factories (wet mills), and was first registered under the Coop Act on 25th April 1959. Wanjegi’s sister factories in the society are Kahuhia, Ngwethe and Gathinja. Each factory is placed within an electoral zone/area, represented by the management committee who forms the Kahuhia board of directors. In addition, the society has a supervisory board of 3 members who checks the activities of the management committee. Both committees report to the cooperative members in annual general meetings. The coop has 16 permanent staff. Wanjengi factory has 1549 active members (1184 male, 362 female).
It is located on the highly productive South-Western slopes of Mt Kenya and on the eastern slopes of the Abadares ranges. The red vulcanic soil provides a lot of nutrients and the cool temperatures at night, as opposed to the hot temperatures during the daytime, gives these berries the best development possible. This all results in the typical and well-liked flavour for which this region is known.
The beans are handpicked and delivered to the wet mill the same day. There they are sorted under the supervision of a ‘cherry clerck’. The berries are processed washed. In Kenya beans are classified according to their size. These Wanjengi-beans have the AA grade, which means they are the biggest beans (screen size 17 – 18,5).
The wet mill acknowledges the importance of having good relations throughout the coffee value chain (roasters, farmers, coops,…). They help the coöps and farmers they work with, with crop improvement and farm management, etc.
– Variety: SL28 & SL34, 100% Arabica
– Cupping score: 87,75
– Altitude: 1700 – 1850m
– Processing method: washed
– Notes: rubarb, hint of lemonade, brown sugar, zingy San Marzano’s, complex, long aftertaste
– Quantity: 250 gr or 500 gr beans
– Our coffee bags are 100% recyclable, produced CO2-neutral and can be disposed of in the plastic waste (in Belgium: PMD-bag). More info about our packaging choices will follow soon in a blogpost. Also check out our CoffeeVac containers, which we sell to shop without the use of packaging from us. When using this system (only possible for pick up- or personal delivery-orders), you earn a discount (saver-system) per ordered 250gr/150gr coffee beans.
– These beas are roasted on 100% green energy (solar + wind).
Foremost, we choose to supply beans. After 15 minutes the aromas of ground coffee are gone. We can grind on request, but it is not something we offer as standard. More info?Click here.
In our webshop you can also find our range of manual and electrical grinders.