The Rianjagi Farmers Co-operative Society was registered in 1998, under the ‘co-operative societies act’. It is located in Embu municipality, Manyatta Sub-county in Embu County and is surrounded by scenic highlands, South West of Mt. Kenya forest. This area is famed for producing some of the worlds finest coffees.
The society has grown its membership from 565 in 1998 to 1958 by 2017, of whom 1411 are active members. The management committee comprises of five members (4 Male and 1 Female) and employs 8 permanent staff and also many seasonal workers dependent during the high season.
The conditions for coffee growing are near perfect. There is abundant rainfall throughout the year, with concentrated wet periods between March-June and October- December. During the daytime it is warm and a considerable cooling takes place at night, which is ideal for the maturation of the berries.
The beans are handpicked and delivered to the wet mill the same day. There they are sorted and processed washed. In Kenya beans are classified according to their size. These Rianjagi-beans are AA grade, which are the biggest beans (screen size 17 – 18,5). The water used during the processing of the berries, is drawn from the nearby rivers and gets re-circulated during processing for conservation purposes. After use, it is moved into soak pits away from water sources so that it does not pollute the area.
– Variety: SL28 & SL34, 100% Arabica
– Cupping score: 88,75
– Altitude: 1650 – 1800m
– Processing method: washed
– Notes: black currant, clementines, hints of ripe cherry tomatoes (acidity), sparkling acidity, complex bitters
– Quantity: 250 gr or 500 gr beans
– Our coffee bags are 100% recyclable, produced CO2-neutral and can be disposed of in the plastic waste (in Belgium: PMD-bag). More info about our packaging choices will follow soon in a blogpost. Also check out our CoffeeVac containers, which we sell to shop without the use of packaging from us. When using this system (only possible for pick up- or personal delivery-orders), you earn a discount (saver-system) per ordered 250gr/150gr coffee beans.
– These beas are roasted on 100% green energy (solar + wind).
Foremost, we choose to supply beans. After 15 minutes the aromas of ground coffee are gone. We can grind on request, but it is not something we offer as standard. More info?Click here.
In our webshop you can also find our range of manual and electrical grinders.